Question to the Social Action

Clarify your doubts about the Scholarships and Accomodation


The SAS keep a quota of vacancies for first year students.

Applications for University Accommodation, for 1st year students who will attend the University of Algarve for the first time, take place in September using the online form available on the University of Algarve website.

Students will be placed according to existing availability.

In accordance with the University Halls of Residence Regulations, Scholarship students will have priority, as provided for in Article 3 - Admission and Permanence

The allocation of accommodation to students follows the following order of priority:

  1. Scholarship students from SASUAlg
  2. Students who live farthest from the UAlg campuses

University accommodation is provided during the academic year, according to the academic calendar. During university holidays (July and August), accommodation is only provided to students who still have classes and/or who are from abroad. Proof is required.

There are two types of rooms in the halls of residence: single and shared.

When applying, you can indicate your preference, but there is no guarantee from the SAS that an individual room will be allocated.

The price list may be updated annually according to approval by the Social Action. Senate, that the monthly fee includes water, electricity, gas, internet access and use and weekly treatment of bed linen and towels.

More information can be found at

Grant applications are made exclusively online, through the BeOn platform, accessible through the page of the Directorate-General for Higher Education. For this purpose, you need a user code and a password.

If you are applying for admission to higher education through the national access competition and it is the first time that you want to apply for a grant, you can request your credentials (user code and password) when applying for higher education.

If in the application for access to higher education, you indicate that you intend to apply for the grant, you must follow the instructions that you will receive in your email with the "Notification of receipt of application for access to higher education".

To obtain the password, when making your application for access to higher education, simply answer YES to the question: Do you intend to apply for a grant? A link will be sent to your email in order to obtain access credentials.

If you do not do so at this stage, credentials can also be requested at the Social Action Services of the University of Algarve after matriculation and registration. You can do it in person at the Social Action Services or online by filling in the form with your data to carry out the same pre-registration and obtain credentials. Afterwards, you should consult the mailbox of the email indicated in the application to obtain the credentials generated. Once you have the credentials, simply access the online application link and submit your application.

If you have already applied and you have credentials just access the online application link and submit your application.

If you forget your credentials, you can request password recovery at, using "Forgot your user code or password?" and entering your tax identification number and email address. You will immediately receive an email with the data to access your personal area.

No. The access credentials for the grant application are different from those you have for the competition.

Grants can be awarded under the social support system for attending courses taught at higher education institutions to students enrolled on the following types of courses:

  • Higher Vocational Technical Courses
  • Bachelor and Integrated Master
  • Master’s

A grant may also be awarded to graduates or masters who, within 24 months after obtaining the degree, are undertaking a professional internship to exercise a profession.

For information about doctoral grants you should contact the Foundation for Science and Technology.

In addition to Portuguese citizens, the following can also apply for a scholarship:

  • Citizens of Member States of the European Union with the right of permanent residence in Portugal and their families, under the terms of Law No. 37/2006, of 9 August
  • Third-country nationals:
    i) Holders of a permanent residence permit, under the terms of article 80 of Law no. 23/2007, of 4 July
    ii) Beneficiaries of long-term resident status under the terms of article 125 of Law no. 23/2007, of 4 July
    iii) Nationals of States with which cooperation agreements have been signed providing for the application of such benefits
    iv) Nationals of States whose law, under equal circumstances, grants equal treatment to Portuguese students
  • Stateless people
  • Beneficiaries of political refugee status

You must be enrolled for a minimum of 30 ECTS credits, except for the exceptions provided for in the Regulation.

The scholarships awarded under the Regulation for the Allocation of Scholarships to Students of Higher Education are only intended for students who are matriculated and registered at Portuguese higher education institutions, on higher vocational technical courses, and in study cycles leading to the bachelor's or master's degrees.

You must submit the grant application:

  • Between 25 June and 30 September
  • Within 20 working days after registration, when registration occurs after September 30

The grant application is submitted exclusively online, through the BeOn platform.


The status of your application can be consulted on BeOn, under the "Result" tab, on your personal page.

You should only submit your application after checking and validating all completed data. After submitting your application, you will only be able to change some personal data: address, telephone contacts, email and IBAN. To make any other changes you must contact the Social Action Services of the University of Algarve.

Submission of the application generates an email and a success message on the respective page. We suggest that you print your application form.

To complete your grant application form, you need to have the following documents with you regarding all members of your household:

  • Citizen Card or, alternatively:
  • Taxpayer card to have the taxpayer number
  • Social Security beneficiary card to have the Social Security number
  • Income tax return for the calendar year prior to the beginning of the academic year to which the grant application relates (if you submitted one)
  • Declaration of the Municipal Property Tax (IMI) or the tax document of the property used as the household's own permanent residence (if the household has a permanent residence)
  • Balance of current and deposit bank accounts, as at 31 December of the calendar year prior to the beginning of the academic year to which the grant application refers and the value of the remaining movable assets (savings certificates, shares, bonds, retirement savings plans, etc.)

You must also have proof of your IBAN (International Bank Account Number) with identification of the account holder for the account you want the grant (if awarded) to be paid into.

In place of the requested document, you must send a statement explaining why you will not be able to provide it. Failure to send all documents may lead to your application being rejected.

On the "Documents" tab, print the forms.

All household members identified on the forms must sign them. In the case of minors in the household, the signature must be made by the person legally responsible for them.

After signing all the elements, you must scan each form in a single file, in PDF, TIFF or TIF format. The files must not exceed 500KB in size.

Then upload them in the fields associated with each authorisation.

The documents to be sent must be scanned in PDF, JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF or TIF format and each one must not exceed 500KB in size.

Then, on the "Documents" page, upload all the requested documents and complete the sending by clicking on the button "Send Documents".

Once all the documents have been uploaded, you must submit the application on the “Submission” page.

The application can only be submitted after sending all the requested documents.

Documents requested after you submit your applications must be sent within 10 working days via your personal area.

The documents to be sent must be scanned in PDF, JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF or TIF format and each one must not exceed 500KB in size.

Then, in the "Missing documents" tab, upload all the requested documents and complete the sending by clicking on the "Upload Documents" button.

After sending, it is not possible to upload more documents.

Only the data referring to the property used as the household’s permanent residence should be filled in and only if that property is owned by one or some of the household members.

If the household resides, for example, in a rented house, property information should not be filled in.

If any or some elements of the household are owners of other properties, but none corresponds to their permanent residence (because, for example, they are rustic or are leased to third parties), the property section should not be filled in either.  

No. Only the applicant must have a Portuguese tax number. All other members of the household can have a foreign tax number.

To enter the foreign tax number associated with each member of the household, you must put the relevant two-letter acronym with the country code before the number.


Acronym Country

  • FR France
  • LU Luxembourg
  • CV Cape Verde
  • AO Angola
  • MZ Mozambique
  • CA Canada
  • ZA South Africa

IRS validation codes are the codes assigned by the tax office to each electronic income tax statement.

You can find this code in the upper right-hand corner of the IRS statement.

You can view the electronic statement by accessing your personal page on the tax office portal page by following the steps below: Obter/Comprovativos/IRS/Declaração and selecting calendar year prior to the beginning of the academic year to which the scholarship application refers.

A displaced student is one who, as a result of the distance between the place of residence and the place where he/she attends the course on which he/she is enrolled, needs to reside in this place, or in its bordering locations, in order to attend the curricular activities of the course on which he/she is registered.

 (Article 18 (1) of the Regulation for the Allocation of Grants to Higher Education Students).

The student's household is made up of the student and the following people who live with him as a family:  

a) Spouse or person who lives with the student or another member of the household in a de facto relationship; 

b) Relatives and the like, in a straight line and collateral, up to the 4th degree; 

c) Adopters, tutors and people to whom the student is entrusted by judicial or administrative decision of entities or services legally competent for the purpose; 

d) Adopted and tutored by the student or by any of the members of the household and children and youths entrusted, by judicial or administrative decision of entities or services legally competent for that purpose, to the student or to any of the members of the household; 

e) Godchildren and godparents, under the terms of Law No. 103/2009, of 11 September. 

Students may constitute single-person households with habitual residence outside their original household if they can prove: 

a) They are financially independent; 

b) In the calendar year prior to completing the application, their income was equal to or greater than six times the social support index in force in that year. 

Students who prove that they do not earn income are considered to be single-person household if: 

a) They are in an institutional shelter situation, entrusted to the care of a private social solidarity institution or other entities financed by social security, and whose social situation is confirmed by the host institution in which they are located; 

b) They are members of religious orders; 

c) They are living in reception centres, educational guardianship or detention centres. 

The composition of the relevant household is that which occurs at the date of filing the application.

(Article 4 of the Regulation for the Allocation of Grants to Higher Education Students).

Please note: The household considered for the purpose of applying for the grant may differ from the household considered for tax purposes.

NISS is your social security identification number.

Please note: If the NISS of any member of your household has only 9 digits (old numbers) you can convert it to 11 digits at

The TIN is your tax identification number, commonly known as the taxpayer number.

The moveable assets are composed of the sum of all credits in bank accounts (current and deposit), savings certificates, shares, investment funds, pension funds and other securities, of all members of the household. The value to be indicated is the sum of all these values of all the members of the household, as of 31 December of the calendar year preceding the beginning of the academic year to which the grant application refers.

No. You should only declare income earned in Portugal or abroad that is not included in the income tax return.

On your personal page, under the "Personal data" tab, you must click on the "request change" button. Then select the type of educational institution, the educational institution and the course. Indicate the date of the change of institution and/or course and submit.

Your request may not be accepted immediately.


  • If you have already submitted your application, you must wait. 
  • If you have not yet submitted your application, you can proceed with filling it in and submitting it.

According to the regulation for the awarding of grants to students of higher education:

  1. Grant payments is made monthly, directly to the student, by bank transfer.
  2. When payments are made, adjustments may be made in order to ensure that the final total corresponds to the annual value of the grant awarded.

Article 54 of the Regulation for the Allocation of Grants to Higher Education Students.

You can change your IBAN through your personal page at, by selecting the «Application - Personal Data» tab.

Only you, as the applicant, can make this change on your personal page.

The regulation for the awarding of grants provides for the definition of a calendar that sets the dates for the payment of grants, to be made by order of the director-general of higher education.

You will be entitled to the grant until the month prior to the cancellation of registration, except for the exceptions provided for in the legislation in force. (Article 55 (3) of the Regulation for the Allocation of Grants to Higher Education Students).


According to the diploma that regulates the status of international students (Decree-Law no. 36/2014, of 10 March), international students benefit exclusively from indirect social action.

Thus, students entering higher education, under the international student regime, are not eligible for a grant.

We also inform you that in order to benefit from the Social Action Services grant, you must have Portuguese nationality or be a permanent resident in Portugal.

On the other hand, students entering higher education under the said statute maintain the status of international student until the end of the cycle of studies in which they initially enrolled or transited, unless in the meantime they acquire the nationality of a member state of the European Union, and even though, during the frequency of the cycle of studies, they will be granted the status of equal rights and duties under an international treaty granted between the Portuguese State and the State of which they are nationals.

No. Subparagraph iii) of paragraph c) of article 5 of the RABEEES establishes that a student is considered eligible for a grant if they, cumulatively: “(…) c) are not a holder: (…) iii of a bachelor's degree or higher, if they are enrolled in a course leading to the award of the bachelor's degree.” Underlying the provisions of that paragraph is the principle of students holding a degree or diploma of an equal or higher level not being eligible for a grant in a cycle of studies leading to a specific degree or diploma. In the integrated master's study cycles, although constituting a single cycle, the degree of Bachelor is awarded to those who have completed the 180 credits corresponding to the first six curricular semesters of work. In view of the above, holders of a bachelor's degree who enroll in an integrated master's cycle of studies should not be considered eligible for the award of a grant while enrolled in the first six curricular semesters of the same.

You do not have to wait for placement by the national access system. After registering at UALG and receiving a student number, you can go to the Social Action Services to pre-register.

A student grant is an annual financial benefit, of variable value and which is not repayable, to share in the costs of attending a higher education course or a mandatory professional internship. It is awarded for the duration of an academic year and in accordance with the Regulation for the Allocation of Grants to Students - Order No. 5404/2017, of 21 June. To qualify for this support, the student must meet the eligibility conditions defined by Law and apply during the period defined for that purpose (from 25 June to 30 September).

Students with disabilities equal to or greater than 60% (RABFES EInc), also have until 31 May 2020 to apply for another grant. This a different one that may be received in addition to that given to economically deprived students with special educational needs, under the regulation for the award of scholarships to students of higher education (RABEEE).

Pursuant to article 161 of Law No. 42/2016, of 28 December, this grant, which is a one-off payment, corresponds to the amount of the fee actually paid.

The application process is made through an online form, after accreditation, available at

The decision to award a grant is the responsibility of the Director-General of Higher Education and you can apply through an online form after accreditation, available at of-attendance-students-with-disability

For this application you must be registered and enrolled in a higher education institution and attach the following documents:

  • Multiuse certificate with the degree of disability;
  • Declaration issued by tax office confirming that you are not in debt. This can be requested at the counter or if you have a password for the tax office website you can get it online by going to: Citizens, Services, Personal Data, General Data. It is usually issued immediately in PDF format.
  • Declaration issued by Social Security that you do not owe them anything. this can be requested at the counter or if you have a direct social security access password this document can be requested directly. It takes about 10 days to be issued.

a) Income from dependent work;

b) Business and professional income;

c) Capital income;

d) Property income;

e) Pensions;

f) Social benefits;

g) Support for housing on a regular basis;

h) Training grants.

2. In addition to the value calculated under the terms of the previous number, the value of the movable assets is calculated under the terms of article 43.

3. The earnings referred to in this article refer to the calendar year prior to the beginning of the academic year to which the grant application refers, provided that the means of proof are available, and, when this is not the case, they refer to the calendar year immediately preceding that.”

If you want, you can schedule an interview for further clarifications, by calling 289 895 957 or in person at the Social Action Services.